ON MAY 7, 2020, STYRENE LEAKED FROM A TANK AT THE LG CHEM (LG POLYMERS INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED) PLANT AT GOPALAPATNAM ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF VISAKHAPATNAM, ANDRA PRADESH WHILE WORKERS WERE PREPARING TO REOPEN THE PLANT WHICH WAS CLOSED DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.
SUBRAMANIAN SWAMY WAS DOING HOOO HAAAA ABOUT PAKISTAN SETTING THE VIZAG PLANT ON FIRE.. THIS IDIOT MUST KNOW THAT THE DEVIL LIES WITHIN STYRENE MONOMER.
IF YOU KNOW YOUR JOB , STYRENE MONOMER IS A SAFE CHEMICAL..
STYRENE MONOMERS ARE THERMALLY UNSTABLE. POLYMERIZATION REACTIONS ARE EXOTHERMIC -- MEANING THEY GIVE OFF HEAT
STYRENE POLYMERIZATION REACTION IS RELATIVELY HIGHLY EXOTHERMIC WITH A HEAT GENERATION AT AROUND 71 kJ·mol–1
A RUNAWAY POLYMERIZATION IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS REACTION IN WHICH CHEMICAL PRODUCTS FORM WITH EXCESSIVE SPEED, PRODUCING HEAT THAT MAY LEAD TO AN EXPLOSION OR OTHER HAZARDS.
CARGO INHIBITOR CERTIFICATE
We confirm that the cargo loaded as described as above has been properly inhibited as follows:
1. The name and amount of additive.
(Full chemical name), (amount ppm)
2. Whether the additive is oxygen-dependent.
3. Date additive was put in the product and duration of effectiveness.
4. Any temperature limitations qualifying the additives’ effective lifetime.
5. The action to be taken should the length of voyage exceed the effective lifetime of the additives.
6. Recommended method for determining additive level / continued activity.
ON BEHALF OF__________________________________SUPPLIER/CHARTERER
ACCEPTED BY___________________________________MASTER/CH. OFFICER
For all products listed above, make absolutely certain that Inhibitor Certificates are supplied by the charterer or shipper for each such product loaded and that such written certification of proper inhibition of the product contains:
· Name and amount of inhibitor added.
· Whether the additive is oxygen-dependent.
· Date inhibitor was added and the length of its effectiveness.
· Any temperature limitations qualifying the inhibitor’s effective lifetime.
· Action to be taken should the length of the voyage exceed the effective lifetime.
A model Inhibitor Certificate is provided below for use and guidance. A certificate supplied by a charterer should correspond to this example.
Notify the Office if Inhibitor Certificates are not supplied or vary from the attached model.
Presently Inhibitor Certificates are required by IBC/BCH Code for the following products:
· Acetone Cyanohydrin
· Acrylamide Solution (50% or less)
· Acrylic Acid
· Benzyl Chloride
· Butyl Acrylate
· Butyl Methacrylate
· Butyl / Decyl / Cetyl / Eicosyl / Methacrylate Mixture
· Cetyl Eicosyl Methacrylate Mixture
· Decyl Acrylate
· Dodecyl Acrylate
· Dodecyl / Pentadecyl Methacrylate Mixture
· Ethyl Acrylate
· Ethyl Metacrylate
· Ethyl Hexyl Acrylate
· Hydroxyethyl Acrylate
· Isobutyl Acrylate
· Isopropyl Ether
· Methacrylic Acid
· Methyl Methacrylate
· Methyl Acrylate
· alpha – Methylstyrene
· Vinyl Acetate
· Vinyl Chloride
· Vinyl Ethyl Ether
· Vinyl Neodecanaote
· Vinylidine Chloride
· Vinyl Toluene
COMMENTS IN THIS POST IS NOW COSED
MAKE FURTHER COMMENTS IN THE POST BELOW—
CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL