Friday, March 4, 2011

THE POOR SAILOR , TERMINAL SHORE LEAVE RESTRICTIONS -- CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL


This is gonna be my last blog-  shall resume after another 5 months.

I know this post will be read by whoever matters in the Marine industry. I do have a wide spectrum of readership via my blog site.

It has become fashionable of late for Western Chemical and Oil terminals to play God and King makers with sailors.

The US terminals are the worst.

Previously only Saudi immigration and Iranian Immigration did this to us.

Quoting some bullshit clause of ISPS-- they do NOT allow sailors to go ashore.

Who has given these people this authority? Who are they to restrict sailors shore leave?

In my last port in USA, the terminal said " We will allow only 5 people to go ashore!"

This forced me to put my foot down and say " Sorry, All my crew will go ashore, and I will go ashore too!"--and I did -- just to show I am a free man and do NOT run a slave ship.

This Houston terminal ( a girl ) sent back my Muslim Indonesian fitter 3 times from the gate -- first for NOT using a approved car to the gate, 2nd time for NOT wearing a helmet , and third time for -- hold your breath--for wearing Bermudas which fell short of his shoes by 15 inches.

Finally he decided NOT to go ashore, he had NOT been ashore for 4 months . All he wanted was to buy a laptop from Best Buy for his son.

Would she DARE to do this to a Christian blue eyed and blonde man?

All Masters must take up the matter in black and white if any US terminal restricts shore leave. This also applies if food is NOT allowed to be brought to ship by the Chandler.

Only the US immigration can curtail shore leave!-- and that too with valid reasons-- provided you are NOT in their black list. And I am sure slavery does NOT exist in USA anymore.

We shall see!

We shall over come!!   This is why MLC 2006/ ILO  will soon be a SMS manual. The human element is paramount.



CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL
..

9 comments:

  1. Houston is one of the worst places ever for that. Sorry to hear of such treatment, but completely not surprise to hear. Sadly.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have gone through the same while in NewYork!But have seen them do the weirdest of things.I signed off from Houston this time & we took some time to leave the terminal as the Agent came up with some forms the second time asking my hubby to send it via email etc as we were the only 2 passengers along with the other crew.At the CBP they didnt interview me or did they take any forms from me though i sat & filled them relilgiously.Reason i think is just cos my daughter was asleep & i was carrying her.Agent said that i was pretty lucky as he had never seen them do so ever.Lucky me HUH!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a surveyor and my area of operation is the caribbean islands and I often see ship-owners' reluctance to visit the US ports and they are all the more happier doing the caribbean ports. And these ship-owners are also those UK based ones..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my name is Glenn and I am very impressed with your knowledge on health issues. I am sorry to leave this message here, but I cannot find an email address for you. I have some health issues and western medicine offers little help. Do you know a good Ayurvedic health practitioner in the US? I am in New York City. My email is tellglenn@gmail.com

    Best to you and Namaste Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. A.SHANKAR ELANGO, Chief Officer.

    I fully agree with the sufferings of the sailors, sometimes I feel that no one is ready to think about the sailors. It is said that in the past they(Rules) were ment to save "sailors" from sea but now it is mainly to save "sea" from sailors and not bothered about the sailors comfort.
    I sometimes argue with the authorities but but then understood that no one is ready to understand and help sailors.
    ---- Things will change soon ------

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a real shame to not allow the sailors off the ships. Here is something I do not know - in the US personnel that works around the port must have a TWIC card. Do personnel in other ports have to do the same in other countries?

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI GLEN,

    I WILL BE POSTING ON MUDRAS TOMORROW.

    CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Captain Vadakayil:

    Sorry, but I never checked here until now. Could you tell me the website for Mudras? Thank you.

    Best to you- Glenn tellglenn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Documents submitted by the MHA to the NN Vohra Committee looking into the politicians-criminal nexus after the 1993 blasts, there were definite links between Dawood and former Union Minister Sharad Pawar for Hawala operations.There were several other politicians from Maharashtra and Gujarat who were named by the MHA.

    In the early '90s, it was rumoured that around 75 politicians owed their entry to Parliament to Dawood though none could confirm his clout because there was nothing on paper. Politicians such as Bhai Thakur and Suresh alias Pappu Kalani were arrested for links with Dawood around the same time.

    An MLA in the Maharashtra Assembly is presently under the scanner of the Intelligence Bureau for his alleged links with the don.”

    In 2013, there were allegations that cricket administrator and Congress politician Rajiv Shukla had met Dawood in April 2004 and divulged security secrets.After he quit service and joined the BJP, former Home Secretary RK Singh alleged that Sushil Kumar Shinde, in his capacity as the Union Home Minister, had protected a businessman with close links to Dawood.

    There were also media reports that in 2013 India had come very close to killing Dawood in Karachi, but the operation was called off in the last minute due to political pressure.

    2 NDA and 4 UPA personalities” were in touch Dawood. Dawood’s aide Chotta Shakeel also claimed that it was Pawar and BJP leader LK Advani who stopped Dawood’s return to India.


    ReplyDelete